Mar-13

Apr-13

May-13

Jun-13

Jul-13

Aug-13

Sep-13

Oct-13

Nov-13

Dec-13

Jan-14

Feb-14

Mar-14

Apr-14

May-14

Jun-14

Jul-14

Aug-14

Sep-14

Oct-14

Nov-14

ians sites

music site


This is a photo record of the progress on my - to be - new abode, currently under construction

It is now December 2013 and the interior wall frames are pretty well complete. Complete enough that we are able to run the wiring and plumbing.

The running of the wiring was a lengthy but satisfying job that Torsten, in particular, really took to. The electrician had previously agreed to us running the cabling after we had told and shown him what we wanted – in terms of location of power points, light switches, TV and telephone outlets, two way switching requirement etc. George had plenty to do; he manufactured the power board, ran the incoming supply lead to the point of attachment on the eastern corner of the house. He supplied all the wires, power outlets, switches and accessories for us to do the job and, of course eventually terminated all of the fittings (well nearly all of them). It was an excellent working partnership.

The plumber was the ideal tradesman, came when he said he would and completed running the plumbing supplies in a couple of days, did all the necessary paperwork and organised the inspection - no fuss. He had to come back later to do the septic.

Another tradie we had at this time was the wet area sealer. This is another specialist job which they (the Council people) are fussy about getting right. Areas around fixtures – showers, basins etc have to be sealed in strict accordance with the relevant code and, although you theoretically can do it yourself we thought it best to a licenced guy to do it (properly?). I had asked him to also lay the floor tiles as part of the sealing job and eventually was persuaded to get him to do the wall tiling as well. It was all a bit pricy and I think “next time” I’d do it myself. I tiled splash back behind the kitchen sink with the same tiles, and although that was a much smaller area there was still a fair amount of cutting tiles back and for openings to accommodate power outlets – not exactly rocket science.

So, with the wiring and plumbing completed the first lining job was to gyprock the ceiling. I had bought a gyprock lifter earlier and we were itching to see how effective it would be. It turned out to be an excellent purchase. It lifted up to 4.2 m sheets of gyprock to the ceiling and, with a couple of homemade T pieces to hold the ends of the sheets tight against the ceiling, we soon got the knack of using it. We also made a start on lining the ceiling and walls of the wet areas with villaboard – a fibrous cement lining material for lining wet areas.

from 18th Dec 2013
to 29th Dec

Mar-13

Apr-13

May-13

Jun-13

Jul-13

Aug-13

Sep-13

Oct-13

Nov-13

Dec-13

Jan-14

Feb-14

Mar-14

Apr-14

May-14

Jun-14

Jul-14

Aug-14

Sep-14

Oct-14

Nov-14

home