This was a very satisfying month. We had been manufacturing frames, one on top of the other, in the shed while the sub frame was being installed on site. I was concerned about the weight of them – getting them firstly out of the shed and then onto the building site.
We put a lot of thought into the process but in the end it was just a matter of muscle and perseverance. Yes they were heavy, but with two people they were manageable with a bit of grunting and groaning – the latter mainly from me. Unfortunately we didn’t have the camera clicking for that circus act but took quite a few photos (not all shown) of the erection of the frames on the sub base.
Colin and Emily turned up at this time and were of enormous assistance – for the frame erection and securing and installing verandah joists. We had some wonderful days of sunshine and getting stuff done but then the rain set in and made life – progress – very difficult up to about August.
We also fabricated a number of work platforms to work off which were used over the following year for working around the frames and roof trusses.
It was a period where we had to become accustomed to walking on joists which were treacherously slippery in the wet. (If you see me walking in the future with carefully measured, 450 mm steps, you’ll know why).